Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Contrast, Harmony & Balance



Catnap painted by a German painter whose name is Lucian Bernhard. This is what I think to be an excellent example of contrast, harmony and balance. The bright blue dress is what catches the eye first and as your eye rolls up the hip line of the lady you gaze into the striking red that is her hair. She is also wearing a black belt that suggests she is not just wearing a nightgown but a dress. Then you start look around see the orange tabby and how it's laying on the contrasting color that is forest blue-green. And then you might look up and see the red in its top corner and how in the opposite corner has the alternating hues of blue. And finally I look back to the girl and at her pale white skin and see it somewhat reflected off the cushion she is laying on.

First off there is balance everywhere in this painting based on color and its positions throughout. The eye has many things to look at and lots of things that bounce off each other because the colors are so complementary, it takes almost no effort. In terms of contrast I already mentioned how the blues and the reds work  so well together and how they are perfectly placed in this piece. When I look at this and just stare I start to think of who this girl is and how she had the importance to be painted. And then I think of the cat and start to think that if this girl is important that cat must be very important as well. What I am trying to say is that this painting is very harmonious with the girl and the cat and how they face opposite directions. And that they both share the same color scheme, it more provokes the thought that they are connected. 

I think is painting is very well done and that it is a prime example of contrast, harmony and balance. The shades that are used make a very pleasant scene to the eye. This painting is very well done and I am glad that I was able to share it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment